Are you in danger of spending a fortune on cookies: recent guidance on GDPR-compliant cookie banners
Do you even notice when you automatically click on cookie banners just to make them disappear faster? We genuinely hope that this habit will soon fade away. Recently, cookies have gained the reputation of not only being a tracking technology but also a phenomenon against which all tech giants have fallen. There have been several hefty fines in Europe for inappropriate cookie banners. The new guidance from European Data Protection Board should give more clarity on this topic.
WALLESS Associate Partner Guoda Šileikytė has dissected it to provide key findings:
• The absence of a “disagree” button in the first layer of the cookie banner constitutes a violation.
• Pre-ticked boxes of cookie categories are a prohibited practice;
• Both “agree” and “disagree” buttons must be readable and clearly identifiable;
• Websites should implement tools for visitors to withdraw consent at any time;
• Legitimate interest is not an appropriate basis for the use of non-necessary cookies.
#compliance #gdpr #cookies #EDPB