Protect your pocket: save up to €5 million with GDPR-compliant marketing calls
With 6.92 billion smartphone users worldwide and people increasingly using mobile devices, there is no doubt that telemarketing is also here to stay. However, companies that use such practices should look more closely into GDPR rules. If you remain convinced this is irrelevant to your business, try contacting an Italian energy company Edison Energia, recently fined €4.9 million for GDPR non-compliant commercial calling practices.
How to make sure you do not overpay for your marketing calls? WALLESS Associate Partner Guoda Šileikytė shares her advice:
• When calling for direct marketing purposes, only contact persons who have given their explicit consent;
• If the data subjects withdraw their consent, ensure that they no longer receive such calls;
• Never purchase telephone number databases unless you have a guarantee that all subscribers in the database have given their consent;
• Remember that consent is not required for service calls. Just make sure people are informed about such calls in your privacy documents;
• Keep in mind that publicly available contacts of various company representatives are also personal data, so you must obtain their consent before calling them as well.
#compliance #gdpr #marketing #telemarketing